Submitted by Janet W
Here’s a super-easy recipe that can be made in an oven or a dutch oven or even in a crock-pot!
- Crushed pineapple – 1 20-oz can (undrained)
- Cherry pie filling – 1 21-oz can (undrained)
- Yellow cake mix – 1 box
- Butter – 2 sticks, cut into 12 slices each
Spray a 9×13” baking pan (or any pan really) with Pam (if you don’t have any, it’ll still be fine without it). Dump the can of pineapple into the pan, covering the bottom evenly. Dump the can of cherry pie filling on top of the pineapple. Sprinkle all the cake mix evenly over the top. Place the 24 slices of butter on top.
Bake for 45 minutes to an hour (depending on your oven) at 350 degrees. If using a crockpot, I cook it on high for about ½ hour and then keep checking it until it’s done. This can also be made in a dutch oven over a fire or grill. I haven’t personally done this so I don’t know the timing on it, but my ex-DH used to make it all the time when we went camping and it was fab!
The main thing to remember about cooking it is to keep an eye on the crust (the cake mix part of it). It should be golden-brown and have the consistency of a baked pie crust. Once it’s there, it’s done.
If you have a favorite recipe that you would like to see published here – please email those to me. Thank you.
- The Prepper's Guide to Surviving the End of the World, as We Know It: Gear, Skills, and Related Know-How
- The Prepared Prepper's Cookbook: Over 170 Pages of Food Storage Tips, and Recipes From Preppers All Over America!
- Dirt-Cheap Survival Retreat: One Man's Solution
- 31 Days to Survival: A Complete Plan for Emergency Preparedness