This is a guest post and entry in our non-fiction writing contest by Encourager
Homeopathy is a system of medical care that is older than Hippocrates. It helps to cure diseases/injuries in accordance with natural substances. The so-called modern-day “Father” of homeopathy was Samuel Christian Friedrich Hahnemann who lived in the early 1800’s.
Our family discovered homeopathy when our oldest son was seven. He was suffering from severe Plantar Warts on the bottom of his foot. We had been to his pediatrician repeatedly, where the warts were shaved and acid put on them. All the treatment did was make them spread. He could barely put pressure on his foot. Concurrently, he was suffering from sinus infections; as soon as my son finished a new antibiotic, the infection came back. He was having behavior problems at school so the pediatrician placed him on Ritalin. This was back in the 1980’s where Ritalin was hailed as the new wonder drug.
When, on the same day, the Ear, Nose and Throat specialist recommended our son be hospitalized and have his sinuses flushed with a strong antibiotic solution and be on IV antibiotic treatment, and the pediatrician recommending surgical treatment for the Plantar warts, the increasing dissatisfaction and mistrust of the medical profession exploded in my head. There had to be a better way!
A friend told me about a nearby M.D. who was also a homeopath,and we made an appointment. At the visit, which was over an hour of just talking and answering strange questions about our son’s sleep patterns, moods,behavior, bowel movements, whether he preferred hot or cold drinks, and with me getting nervous and skeptical, we finally got to the reason we were there. When he asked what medications son was currently on, the doctor became very upset when he heard about the Ritalin.
He emphatically told us that it was an experimental drug, and since our son had never had one test to determine if he SHOULD be on it, to take him off of it right away. He then briefly examined our son and gave him a few pellets of small white pills under his tongue. He also gave us a small envelope and told us to give the pellets twice a day for three days and to observe any changes in his behavior. It was as if the warts and sinus infections were not important.
I left fuming and called the friend who had encouraged me to go to him, complaining about this weird man who asked so many strange questions. Her words of wisdom I will never forget – “why notcontinue to give him the pellets; what do you have to lose?” So we did. A week later hubby checked son’s foot. The bottom of his foot had no clusters of black dots that signified Plantar warts. The huge one that was ½ inch across was gone, replaced with a hollowed out depression with new, pink skin.
His sinus headaches and congestion were gone. However, he had become increasingly agitated at school and home. He had boundless energy, wasn’t sleeping much at night, walked across the tops of the desks at school, he broke out in sweats. On the Ritalin his normal demeanor was subdued, sleepy, almost depressed, no energy, hard to wake in the morning. Just the opposite of what was now happening. I called the new doctor and asked what would happen to someone who took Ritalin who did not need it.
He said they would become hyperactive, sweat, not sleep, agitated – in other words, act as if they were ‘high’. As many of you know, teens now steal/buy Ritalin on the street and use it to get high. I asked how to get our son off the Ritalin. He said quit cold turkey but be prepared for some rough days ahead. We did that and it WAS a rough few days! His behavior improved immensely, he was sleeping through the night, he did much better at school and home. We had our happy, cheerful son back.
I began studying homeopathy and have learned so much;however, I am no expert. Homeopathy is an extensive alternative medicine field. I do not pretend to know enough about it. Taking an in-depth class is at the top of my Bucket List. However, I can tell you about which remedies we use and why. I own a few books I feel are invaluable. “Homeopathic Medicine at Home” by Jane Heimlich and M. B. Panos, M.D. (has great symptoms/remedy charts); “Everybody’s Guide to Homeopathic Medicines” by Stephen Cummings, M.D. and Dana Ullman, M.P.H.; a good Materia Medica (describes symptoms and remedies – I would try to find a modern book printed in an English-speaking country, mine was printed in India and the translation leaves a lot to be desired); and “Homeopathy for Menopause” by Beth MacEoin.
First, some general instructions.
1. Remedies come in different forms. They can be in a cream, ointment, tincture or pellet form.
2. Remedies can be purchased in a health food store, some pharmacies, from your doctor or online.
3. Remedies in a pellet or tincture form should be taken in a ‘clean’ mouth. That means no food, no drink, no smoking 15 minutes before and after using a remedy. Water is okay to dilute the tincture.
4. Tak eapproximately four pellets of the remedy and place under your tongue to dissolve.The base of the pellet is sugar so it dissolves quickly.
5. There are many common substances that will render a remedy ineffective including coffee and anything with camphor or mint in it. (Think lip balms.)
6. Pellet remedies should be kept in a dark glass bottle, out of sunlight and in a dark,cool place. Same with tinctures.
7. Never expose a remedy to sunlight or strong odors. If you are outdoors and need to take a remedy, turn your back to the sun and cup the bottle in your hand,shading it as much as you can. Or get out of the sun!
8. To take the pellets, tap the unopened bottle against the bottom of your hand. Tap out pellets into the cap, tip your head back and tap the cap to dispense the pellets under your tongue. Do not touch the inside of the cap. To take a tincture, put drops under tongue or in a small amount of water then under tongue or in mouth. Creams/ointments can be applied directly to skin. Do not apply Arnica to opened skin!
Remedies come in various strengths. The higher the number the more diluted it is, but the more powerful it is. The average strength is 30cc,but you can purchase 6cc and 200cc. Anything over 200cc is usually by prescription only or only available from your doctor and is usually considered a “constitutional” remedy (a remedy that affects the entire body).
Here are the remedies in my emergency kit I would never be without. I will use the common names. What I have described using them for are NOT the only symptoms they are effective on.
1. Aconite – fright, shock, sudden onset and intense symptoms. Faintness, dizziness.Croup. (If I fell hard, I would take Aconite, followed 15 minutes later with Arnica if I am bruised).
2. Apis– Bee stings, insect bites with swelling, itching and redness. Hives. (Husband is allergic to ant bites; he takes Apis first and then later on takes Ledum if necessary. He also has an Epi-Pen if necessary.)
3. Arnica– Bruises, injuries from blows, falls or blunt objects. Shock from injury, black eye, muscle soreness, sprains, arthritis; promotes healing. DO NOT USE THE CREAM OR OINTMENT ON BROKEN SKIN! Will burn like fire. The cream/ointment is wonderful for bruises, sprains, overworked muscles, sore joints from arthritis. Our favorite brand is The Rub by NatraBio. It has the highest % of Arnica.
4. Ferrum Phos – great with children (or anyone) coming down with fever, cold, earache,if the symptoms match this remedy. (There are many fever/cold/flu remedies available.)
5. Ignatia – emotional or mental stress; grief, worry, shock, insomnia. Our entire family took this remedy when my husband’s brother died in an airplane crash. It helped all of us function during this stressful time.
6. Ledum– Puncture wounds from sharp-pointed objects – nails, splinters; insect stings,especially mosquitoes; animal bites and scratches.
7. Candida– for any yeast infections – skin, vaginal, mouth/throat (thrush), diaper rash, intestinal. No woman should EVER be without this remedy!
8. The ABC’s for babies – Aconite (croup, diarrhea, ear infections), Belladonna (ear infections, teething, sore throat); Chamomilla (colic, ear infections, teething) have saved many a parent’s sanity during a night of teething, croup, ear aches or colic.
There are MANY remedies. I strongly advise reading and learning all you can, taking classes and finding a medical person you trust that will administer the stronger remedies. The symptoms must be matched up to the remedies. Please don’t just go out and buy the list above; get a good book and match up your symptoms. If you take the wrong remedy, don’t worry; it will do you no harm. You may have wasted your time and money, but it will cause no adverse effects. But the correct remedy will help you immensely.
(Disclaimer: If you have an illness, medical condition, or take prescription medication, please seek medical advice from a qualified medical professional.)
M.D. adds: Many people think Homeopathy is a load of BS while others are strong believers. I want to know what you think and why in the comments below.
This is an entry in our non-fiction writing contest where you could win:
First Prize) Winner will receive a Nomad – 1 Person Standard Survival Package courtesy of Shepherd Survival Supply, a One Month Food Pack courtesy of Augason Farms, a $150 gift certificate for Remington Ammo courtesy of LuckyGunner.com and a EcoZoom’s Versa Stove courtesy of EcoZoom stoves. A total prize value of over $875.
Second Prize) Winner will receive two (2) Rothco Sure Paks With Heater courtesy of Camping Survival, a Wise Food Vegetable bucket courtesy of LPC Survival and a Wonder Junior hand grain mill courtesy of Kitchen Kneads. A total prize value of over $509.
Third Prize) Winner will receive 3 – 27 Variety of Non Hybrid, Heirloom Non GMO Survival Seeds, 2 – Fruit Pack of Non Hybrid, Heirloom Non GMO Survival Seeds and 2- First Aid Kit with Sutures in a Waterproof Resealable Bag courtesy of Be Prepared Now. A total prize value of over $215.
Contest ends on March 30 2012.
- The Prepper's Guide to Surviving the End of the World, as We Know It: Gear, Skills, and Related Know-How
- The Prepared Prepper's Cookbook: Over 170 Pages of Food Storage Tips, and Recipes From Preppers All Over America!
- Dirt-Cheap Survival Retreat: One Man's Solution
- 31 Days to Survival: A Complete Plan for Emergency Preparedness