Letter from Valter in Brazil
Hi, I live in Brazil and here the gun laws are pretty much restrictive. We have no powerful rifles, and acquiring a simple .410 single shot is the same price or paperwork of a powerful 12 gauge pump (ok, almost… like R$ 800,00 (less taxes & paperwork) for the .410 and R$ 1.800,00 for the 12 gauge pump.). And we have a stupid caliber restriction here, and well as a limited supply of guns & ammo.
My own setup would be:
1) Taurus 82S 4″ .38SPL revolver (most powerful revolver caliber here is .38)
2) Boito/IGA/Stoeger Uplander/A680 SxS shotgun 28″
3) .22 LR CBC/Magtech semiauto rifle or Rossi M62 Gallery pump rifle (I actually own the later already, fine rifle, copy of the Winchester 62)
4) Hatsan HT80, 5.5mm spring air rifle (one may kill small game with this and blow eyes of attackers, if you’re under cover)
5) Boito 12 gauge pump shotgun, virtual copy of the Mossberg 590
6) Rossi Puma lever rifle in .38SPL (most powerful rifle allowed besides .44-40, but ammo would be a great concern on .44 — rare and expensive)
This setup would cost about R$ 7.000,00 (about US$ 3.500,00), but I’d stay at item “4” and add one or two homemade/illegal-non-registered-with-supressed-numbers single-shot 12 gauge shotguns.
Here in Brazil shotgun adapters or chamber reducers make sense, if you can get ammo from diff calibers. See. I have one 12 gauge break-open shotgun and I happen to come across some boxes of .380ACP/.38SPL ammo, but have no gun chambered for these. If I had one adapter for eache caliber, my chances get higher until I can get proper ammo/firearm…
I’d have these adapters: 12 gauge to: 1) 20 gauge 2) 28 gauge 3) .410 4) .38SPL/.380ACP 5) .22LR and 6) .32ACP/.32S&WL.
Ammo acquisition is restricted too, unless you get a membership of a shooting club, as well as reloading supplies.
See you later, please publish, comment and add ideas to my setup.
- The Prepper's Guide to Surviving the End of the World, as We Know It: Gear, Skills, and Related Know-How
- The Prepared Prepper's Cookbook: Over 170 Pages of Food Storage Tips, and Recipes From Preppers All Over America!
- Dirt-Cheap Survival Retreat: One Man's Solution
- 31 Days to Survival: A Complete Plan for Emergency Preparedness