This is a guest post by James C
Hi Guys, I wanna talk about using modern technology to aid survival. No im not talking about emergency transmitters or anything like that. Something more humble – the Mobile Phone.
I never before liked the idea of using modern technology along side primitive skills, I always prefered the idea of learning and remembering the skills I needed. But in this modern-day and age through work I have had to get a new phone, but doing this changed my whole perspective on combining old and new!
So here are my basic arguments for and against mobiles as survival aids.
Pro’s: modern phones allow you to download a multitude of apps and information,some of these include;
- a torch that also flashes SOS signals.
- the classic and new military survival guides(mainly the same content).
- the ability to download any countries map and use it without satellite connection.
- a star guide that shows constellations and north, east, south and west.
- plant, tree, fungai, animal,f ish, reptile and bird identification.
And i am sure there are some helpful ones that are not listed.
Now for the cons.
Your phone will never build you a shelter or catch you a meal. Although the battery can make you a fire but we wont go into that!
So yes you have to get off your arse and work, but how can you do something you have never seen or done before? That is where your guides and apps come in, they have the knowledge you lack.
Now I love the outdoors and learning about new plants etc but unless I became an expert on every plant on the planet which would probably take a lifetime, I would never know them all, so this is where the phone can back you up. It’s not there to replace your knowledge or skills but to aid you along the way.
Now the main problem with this bit of technology is that it requires electricity to work, so the main way I have found to solve this is called a Powermonkey.
The clever little item opens like a clam shell and has solar panels on the insides, you open it up and charge away. It comes with adapters to fit pretty much any phone and it is only the size of your hand but a lot thinner. They come in waterproof and shock proof models etc. They also have a built-in battery so you charge it up before you go for hikes, hunts etc.
Another problem is modern phones are not waterproof, simple answer… you can buy waterproof cases for your phone that still allow you to access the screen, and generally you can fit your power monkey in the same case.
So all in all I hope this has given you a basic idea of how a bit of modern technology can be used to aid you in a survival situation.
- The Prepper's Guide to Surviving the End of the World, as We Know It: Gear, Skills, and Related Know-How
- The Prepared Prepper's Cookbook: Over 170 Pages of Food Storage Tips, and Recipes From Preppers All Over America!
- Dirt-Cheap Survival Retreat: One Man's Solution
- 31 Days to Survival: A Complete Plan for Emergency Preparedness