Since, the tragic murders of 27 people, including 20 children by a deranged lunatic at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown Friday, several readers have sent emails asking for my opinion on how to prevent anything like this from happening again…
Unfortunately, there is no 100% effective way to guarantee that such an event will never happen again, however there are several things that can and should be done that would greatly decrease the possibility.
And no it’s not more gun laws… Someone intent on killing others has no regard for any law in the first place – why anyone would think more laws are the answer is beyond me…
Okay, here is what I think should be done – but regrettably, the powers that hide behind secrete service protection could not care less about my (or your) opinion, but here it is any way…
Considering that these shooters always seek out the weakest target…
- I would place an armed guard at the entrance drive that leads up to the school – these could be trained volunteers or plain clothed members of the national guard, or police department. National guard and police officers are paid for their service to our country anyway, and they could work on rotating shifts to coincide with their regular duty times and pay thus costing the tax-payer nothing or very little.
- I would have locked doors at all entrances of the building where anyone entering the building would have to be” buzzed in” after being visually inspected by a school employee inside.
- I would place “alarms” inside school building at strategic locations that when triggered would automatically call the police.
- I would allow teachers (on a volunteer basis and after training) to be armed inside of the school and on school property – weapons could be concealed and the children would not even know that those teachers are armed.
- Classrooms would be affixed with strong attack resistant doors and with automatic locks that would automatically lock in the event that the alarm (see #3) was triggered. Or as one reader suggested a simple fortified door bar that teachers can engage from inside the classroom upon hearing the alarm.
These five simple steps are real solutions that would be more effective at preventing this type of thing from ever happening again, than would be any “feel good” gun bans and more useless laws on the books….
Please feel free to pass these five steps to the elected officials and school administrators in your county and state and to anyone else that will listen… Thank you.
- The Prepper's Guide to Surviving the End of the World, as We Know It: Gear, Skills, and Related Know-How
- The Prepared Prepper's Cookbook: Over 170 Pages of Food Storage Tips, and Recipes From Preppers All Over America!
- Dirt-Cheap Survival Retreat: One Man's Solution
- 31 Days to Survival: A Complete Plan for Emergency Preparedness