It is not only possible to smoke an entire meal, it is easy and delicious too. I had extremely minimal experience with smoking until the day I got it into my head I would make the entire meal in our smoker to feed the 40 people coming over for a gathering.
The prep time to make two pork loins, mac and cheese, baked potatoes, and green beans is about 25 minutes. That time estimate does not take into account soaking the pork loin roasts in a marinade for 12 to 24 hours – recommended but not necessary.
I used a combination of apple and Jack Daniel’s flavored wood chips, with a tiny bit of hickory thrown on top, when making this smoker meal. The amount of chips used will vary depending upon the dimensions of your smoker.
I used two handfuls of the combined apple and Jack Daniel’s chips, and almost half a handful of the hickory chips scattered on top.
I soaked the chips in water (two plastic bottles) and then added another bottle over time as the meal smoked. If you do not soak the wood chips and keep them damp throughout the smoking process, they can catch fire.
Smoker Pork Loin Recipe
- pork loin
- 1 cup Jack Daniel’s BBQ sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- Soak the pork loin in light Italian dressing for 12 to 24 hours – this helps preserve moisture in the meat, and is recommended but not necessary.
- Soak the wood chips in water.
- Put the dampened wood chips into the smoker and turn it on high. Once the temperature nears the desired heat (250F for this meal, but can be smoked at 180F if the processing time is extended two to three hours), turn the heat setting back to medium.
- While the smoking is heating up, season the meat to taste. For two medium to large pork loin roasts I mixed together the BBQ sauce, the brown sugar, honey, a few pinches of salt and pepper, a pinch of garlic, a pinch of rosemary, a pinch of oregano, and spread it on the top and sides of the meat. I then sprinkled the lemon juice over the topping.
- Place the pork loin on the top rack of the smoker at about 250F for 2 hours.
- Remove the pork loin and baste more light Italian dressing (and a little more of the topping above, if desired) onto the top and sides of the meat.
- Wrap the pork loin in aluminum foil, and return to the top rack for another 60 minutes.
- Remove the pork loin and allow it to rest for at least 5 minutes, to avoid the loss of moisture, before cutting and serving.
Smoker Mac And Cheese Recipe
- 1 pound pasta noodles elbow macaroni style is recommended
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 ounces softened cream cheese
- ¼ cup butter slightly melted
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 and ¾ cup half and half
- 3 cups shredded cheese
- 6 ounces Velveeta cheese if you want the dish extra cheesy and to help prevent it from becoming dry as it cools
- 1 pinch oregano
- 1 pinch smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- (optional) bacon or bacon bits or finely chopped ham
- Cook the pasta until it is only al dente, then run it under cold water to thwart it from cooking more due to the heat in the pan while you prepare the rest of the dish. This should also help prevent the mac and cheese from becoming sticky.
- Melt the butter slightly and pour it into the pot that had held the pasta.
- Whisk in the flour, and cook the two ingredients on low to medium heat for about 35 seconds.
- Pour the paste into the pot, and mix the ingredients together thoroughly.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients, and combine again until they paste is completely coated.
- Pour the ingredients into a cast iron pot or throw away aluminum foil pan.
- Smoke at 225F to 250F for about 2-3 hours.
Smoked Green Beans Recipe
- 2 cans green beans about 28 to 30 ounces
- 1 stick butter slightly melted
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 3 to 5 slices of bacon …or more if you would like. If you place the bacon on top of the green beans it does not need to be fried or baked first.
- 2 cups brown sugar
- Optional – You can also cut up (no need to peel the potatoes) or chunk baked potatoes and mix in with the green beans to make a casserole if you do not have enough space to place whole baked potatoes in your smoker or are trying to stretch your available ingredients.
- Pour all of the ingredients except the bacon onto a cast iron pot or throw away aluminum foil pan. Do not strain the green beans, there needs to be enough water in the pan for them to cook properly and evenly.
- Stir them all together – except for the bacon, unless you’ve already cooked it.
- Lay the raw bacon across the top of the green bean mixture.
- Smoke at 250 degrees for about two hours.
- Tip – To prevent the green beans from becoming too dry, cover the pot or pan with foil for the first 90 minutes of smoking.
Smoked Baked Potatoes Recipe
- Baking potatoes
- Olive oil or other cooking oil
- Poked about two or three holes through the baked potatoes after washing them.
- Rub each potato entirely with olive oil.
- Sprinkle about one pinch of all the suggested spice – or more or less to taste, onto each potato.
- Wrap each baked potato in aluminum foil and place directly onto the smoker rack where space permits. The potatoes closer to the heat source may become dry if left in the smoker the recommended amount of time.
- Bake the potatoes or about two hours at 225 to 250 degrees.
Did you try any of these recipes, or do you have your own smoker recipes? Please share them below.